February 13, 2008

Free Rice

February 13, 2008
Sometimes I just need a one minute break from what I am doing, to step away, unhook my brain, do something else, and relax. Being a word lover who cares a bit about what happens in the world, my current favorite one minute break is to go to freerice.com. The idea is that you try to match vocabulary words to the word that has the closest meaning in a list they give you. For each one you get correct, they donate twenty grains of rice to the UN World Food Program. The money comes from the advertising revenue generated by refreshing the site each time you win. Of course, twenty grains of rice isn't much. But then, yesterday, with everyone who participated, Freerice.com was able to donate 150,137,840 grains of rice. This is, by my calculation, in the neighborhood of 150,000 large servings. So play. Learn. Give.

3 Comments:

andrea t said...

We discovered this site a few months ago and found it addicting. Improving your vocabulary and feeding the poor, what a great way to spend your time :)

Den said...

What's your highest score?

Ink Flinger said...

Not too high. I didn't realize you had to set it to remember what you are doing at first. I think I'm at 44.

 
Design by Pocket Distributed by Deluxe Templates