January 4, 2009

African Peanut Soup

January 4, 2009
I didn't make this recipe up, just modified it to suit our needs. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 14 ounce can crushed tomatoes, with liquid
  • 4 cups stock (vegetable or chicken)
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
  • 2/3 cup smooth peanut butter (preferably without added sugar and preservatives)
  • 1/2 cup instant brown rice
  • salt to taste
  • sherry to taste
  1. Heat oil in a stockpot over medium-high heat. Cook the onion and bell pepper until lightly browned and tender, stirring in garlic near the end to prevent burning.
  2. Stir in tomatoes, stock, pepper, and chili powder. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
  3. Stir in rice, cover, and simmer until rice is tender.
  4. Stir in peanut butter until well blended.
  5. Add salt to taste and a dash of sherry.
  6. Serve. Makes about 5 servings.

8 Comments:

Unknown said...

You know I'll try making it - but where can you buy African peanuts?

Ink Flinger said...

Lucinda,

Harumph!

I suppose you'd have to look for ground nuts, actually? I hope you enjoy the recipe whatever kind of peanuts you choose. I would definitely double or triple (or quadruple?) the chili powder for Brennecke taste buds.

Unknown said...

You know us well and our taste buds. It's at least triple...there's always sour cream if you need it.

Roger said...

This is reminds me of the peanut sauce used in Thai food sometimes. I may try it too...better yet, I'll let Cindy make it and try it!

Ink Flinger said...

Cool. You can pretend we're there with you. Just imagine lots of extra chaos and noise.

Bob said...

Monday is Soup Night in our house and this is on the menu. I can hardly wait...

Bob said...

Huge hit. Amy: "filling". Blake: "tasty". Andie: "pleasant". Me: "More please".

It'll be in the Monday rotation...

Ink Flinger said...

Cool, Bob--I'm glad you guys enjoyed this. It's one of my new favorites!

 
Design by Pocket Distributed by Deluxe Templates