August 5, 2008

Some good news for once

August 5, 2008

Sometimes listening to the news can be quite depressing (OK, most of the time listening to the news can be quite depressing), so an occasional bit of good news is always welcome. I read this morning about a recent survey that found an undiscovered population of western lowland gorillas in the Congo which meant a dramatic increase in the total estimated numbers remaining. How often do you get to hear that?

I know some people won't understand why this report makes me happy given all the awful things happening in that part of the world (gorillas are just animals, aren't they?), but I felt a tremendous lift of my spirits. There is still great danger of extinction for most primates across the world, but one has a little better chance than we thought. It is a triumph of life in a world where we humans tend to forget (or ignore) how interconnected all of life is.

4 Comments:

Kathy said...

Wendell's Aunt was a medial missionary to Zaire for fifty years. I think she would have been happy to hear this report. Any signs of healthy life in the war-torn jungle seem promising to me.

Ink Flinger said...

Promising indeed, Kathy. Good to hear from you by the way!

Felicity said...

I was also strangely encouraged by that story when I saw it this morning! I felt small (in a good way).

steve s said...

I saw it on the news tonight. Interesting. 125,000 of them estimated! More than double what was previously thought (50,000).

 
Design by Pocket Distributed by Deluxe Templates