March 30, 2008

Poetry abuse

March 30, 2008
Billy Collins is one of my favorite modern poets although you should not infer from this that I am particularly conversant with the full spectrum of modern poets or their writings. I am reading his anthology, Sailing Alone Around the Room, and one of the poems caught my eye as relevant not only to art but also to my prior post. I want very much to post it here, but it is under copyright and connected to a living poet. It is short and, to my mind, quite worth a quick read. You can find it online at the Library of Congress under the title Introduction to Poetry.

2 Comments:

andrea t said...

hmm.... I have to confess that sometimes, er um a lot of the time I'm the one with the hose trying to beat the meaning out of poetry or songs, or art work, always looking for the deeper meaning wanting to "get it". I do this with jokes as well which completely destroys the humor. I liked the poem a lot, probably because I think I "got it". The metaphors are really cool.

Ink Flinger said...

I would definitely recommend more Billy Collins for you. :-) He has received both critical and popular acclaim, and his poems are marked by a high degree of whimsicality (there's that word again) that I think helps one suppress the urge to flog them.

 
Design by Pocket Distributed by Deluxe Templates