March 17, 2008

Depression's good side?

March 17, 2008
Our culture has an interesting relationship with depression. Some pundits lament what they see as the overmedication of America. Eric Wilson wrote a book called Against Happiness, in which he talks about a vital need for sorrow as part of the human condition which we medicate away at our own peril. I have heard some people in religious communities refer to depression as a product of selfish thinking, a lack of faith, or simply a "trial" we must walk through. Depression has become the malady du jour for artists, writers, and thinkers. Somehow we think that the darkness that some people descend into holds important insights into the human condition. If they had not fallen into darkness, what would become of their works of genius? Sometimes I think it is an unwritten rule that only dark, depressing novels (paintings, songs, movies, et cetera) can be taken seriously as real art that has something to say.

Peter D. Kramer is a clinical professor of psychiatry at Brown University and author of several books on depression. I stumbled across a 2005 article he wrote for the New York Times magazine called There's Nothing Deep About Depression, in which he examines more closely this odd sort of reverence we seem to hold for the depressed state. Here is a little excerpt:

Audiences seemed to be aware of the medical perspective, even to endorse it -- but not to have adopted it as a habit of mind. To underscore this inconsistency, I began to pose a test question: We say that depression is a disease. Does that mean that we want to eradicate it as we have eradicated smallpox, so that no human being need ever suffer depression again? I made it clear that mere sadness was not at issue. Take major depression, however you define it. Are you content to be rid of that condition?

Always, the response was hedged: aren't we meant to be depressed? Are we talking about changing human nature?

I took those protective worries as expressions of what depression is to us. Asked whether we are content to eradicate arthritis, no one says, ''Well, the end-stage deformation, yes, but let's hang on to tennis elbow, housemaid's knee and the early stages of rheumatoid disease.'' Multiple sclerosis, acne, schizophrenia, psoriasis, bulimia, malaria -- there is no other disease we consider preserving. But eradicating depression calls out the caveats.

I have a bit of experience with depression, both personally and with family members. It isn't, so far as I've been able to tell, a mysterious fount of inspiration, but, rather, a debilitating disease. I sometimes wonder if, in our enchantment with the dazzlingly depressing in various art forms, we have mistaken despair for realism, sickness for courage, and darkness for insight. I suspect our fascination with the thoughts of the deeply depressed is just the most socially acceptable form of voyeurism available outside of reality TV.

Now, I don't deny sorrow a place in our lives. There is certainly a difference--however disputed the line may be--between clinical depression and sadness. Neither do I suggest we only allow happy endings (although I admit to being inordantly fond of them). Life can be brutal and horrific. Denying that suffering exists does nothing to alleviate it. But perhaps it is time to recognize that depression is not a higher state, a nirvana from which to bring back gems of truth, a normal thing for those of an "artistic temperament." Depression is a sickness every bit as real and every bit as dangerous as hypertension or diabetes, and I think we ought to take it seriously enough to separate it from the complex, brilliant creativity sometimes found in those who suffer from it.

5 Comments:

Den said...

Well said. I think a key difference, as you point out, is the crippling effect of what we mean by "depression". It becomes rather difficult to sort out, especially historically where a term such as "melancholy" might cover everything from cynicism to asociality to clinical depression. There is a big difference between not thinking that everything is coming up roses and being in the grip of a real illness.

One of the other problems here is that we don't have a good definition of happiness and so there is something legitimate to the worry that we medicate to make everyone chipper. But, I hardly think eradicating depression would necessarily cause this. No matter how happy a person might be, there are enough other forms of suffering in the world to balance out our sunny dispositions.

As a personal observation, I am often bordering on being depressed when I try to write a challenging paper, and I can assure you it does not lead to brilliance in those papers.

Gloomily Yours,
Dennis

Ink Flinger said...

There probably is a legitimate concern about over-medication and artificial cheeriness. There is also a very fuzzy line between melancholy and true depression. In spite of those things, I agree with you that recognizing depression as a disease worthy of eradication is far, far different from trying to make everyone "happy." I'd like to think that we can manage to treat depression more seriously without creating a society that mirrors Aldous Huxley's Brave New World.

Den said...

Oh. I was hoping for Brave New World. I'm told I'm rather pneumatic.

Ink Flinger said...

Thankfully, I wouldn't know.

steve s said...

I think that it is correct to separate the disease of depression and the giftings of those that may have it.

I do think that there is a tendency for people who need to work through somethings to grab onto medications too quickly. But on the other hand there are those who think that there is something that "just needs to be walked through" that really should be advised to use medications (One "preacher" told me it was sin and I should just stop it).

The Dr. I found in St. Louis was more aggressive in his dosing than those I had previously. The lower dosages of meds did nothing but frustrate me. This Dr. more than doulbed any previous dosages I had and then I could tell some difference.

However, there is also a cognitive component that I have now been able to address (the Recovery Incorporated things I wrote to you about before).

The Dr. thought about lowering the dosage of medications and I said that something is working so well that I would rather not change anything for the time being.

Well, that some of my experience.

Take care,
steve s

 
Design by Pocket Distributed by Deluxe Templates