December 3, 2007

Pullman must die!

December 3, 2007
Well, the loudest Christians are gathering wood, preparing to burn Phillip Pullman at the stake for daring to write a book that spawned a movie that represents his beliefs. The title of this egregious book (and the movie) is The Golden Compass. Yes, Mr. Pullman is atheist or agnostic (depending on the interview). Yes, Mr. Pullman is anti-religion and even admits to promoting said view through his stories. What cracks me up is that the charge leveled at Mr. Pullman is that he is trying to persuade children of his views. Children! Um. Has anyone heard of Veggie Tales? Mr. Pullman isn't the only one foisting (What a great word! Say it again with me: "Foisting!" I knew you could.) his beliefs on unsuspecting young minds. Isn't our job as parents to help our children explore and process all that is foisted upon them? I know, I know; it's much less work to simply abandon them to the Christian entertainment industry. I mean, helping them think for themselves implies we have to, right? What the Flying Spaghetti Monster is that all about?

My wife recently posted on her blog about her views on this horrifying movie event, and I heartily concur. She did a fine job, and I won't repeat what she had to say. Instead, I will add a couple quotes from a recent article on the hubbub that I found on CNN.com titled "Is 'Golden Compass' Selling Atheism to Kids?" The answer to the title's question is: probably. Still, I think the quotes below suggest a better response to the issue than a cheery Yuletide Pullman bonfire.

"If you just say 'no' to your kids without engaging in a conversation, they're going to see the movie anyway and all you're teaching them is power, not really teaching your values. If we have faith, what are we afraid of?"
--Sister Rose Paccate, director of the Pauline Center of Media Studies in Culver City, California


Donna Freitas, a visiting assistant professor of religion at Boston University, goes a step further, calling the books a "theological masterpiece." Pullman's intent aside, she views the trilogy as a treatise on Christian belief.

To Freitas, the series' mysterious "Dust" -- portrayed in the books as connected to original sin -- represents the Holy Spirit. Pullman is not attacking religion but those who use power to corrupt, she said.


I think Freitas is wrong. Pullman is attacking religion. Art, however, is always made up of two parties (artist and audience) connected by a medium. Both parties bring their experiences, beliefs, emotions, and reason to the medium. Most authors would say that it would be hubris to insist that readers "get" their message and only their message from a story. In this sense, I think Freitas' interpretation is certainly feasible.

Ultimately, I want to help my children form values, not merely enforce my power as a parent. They must learn, in age-appropriate ways, to engage with the world in which they live. I want them to react not from fear, but carefully, thoughtfully, and compassionately. Perhaps we should spend more time working through these things with our children and less time campaigning to make everyone we disagree with shut up. After all, If our faith is genuine, what do we have to be afraid of?

5 Comments:

Den said...

Three Things

1. Amen, brother.

2. Has anyone looked into getting a fatwah issued against him? Then the protest power could be increased exponentially.

3. He didn't attack the Flying Spaghetti Monster did he? Some things are pushing it too far.

Mama T said...

AMEN Brother! I think the coolest thing about our journey has been the fact that we recognize that our kids are on one too! I love how you say "Ultimately, I want to help my children form values, not merely enforce my power as a parent."

For years I watched people force their power on their kids and in retrospect it was quite abusive.

I whole heartedly agree that if our faith is genuine, why should we care any way? Our faith is in him! Everything else is a bonus depending on how you look at it..

Thanks Matt!

Bob said...

I gotta agree with Trish (Grateful Girl) here. If what we believe is the Truth, then there is no fear of falsehood.

This came up at our group last Sunday. I think a lot of folks leaned in the "circle the wagons" direction. And then they saw the book on the table next to the couch (Amy is reading it now).

Part of the fear of these things is an inadequate understanding of what we believe in the first place. If the slightest challenge shakes our understanding/belief/faith--well...maybe that means our faith needs a good shaking to test it.

With all that said, I know that we don't pursue this things for our kids--we don't go out looking for this material--but when the arise naturally like this, we don't shrink back.

I agree with everything you said here--to the point of wondering if you share part of my brain.

Ink Flinger said...

Bob-That would explain why I seem to mysteriously lose things I need to remember all the time. If you have any inexplicable thoughts that don't seem to relate to your life, email them to me. Maybe it's something I was supposed to get done. :-)

Cipriano said...

Very well-written commentary on the situation. The Pullman Trilogy [His DARK Materials] <-- cue the evil music.... is one the most memorable and BEAUTIFUL books I have ever read.

 
Design by Pocket Distributed by Deluxe Templates